Friday, 28 March 2014 13:34

A Monitored Carbon Monoxide Detector Can Save Your Life!

Written by

In a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning situation that took place recently in Brampton, three people were killed and two others were hospitalized. The family’s furnace had broken and they were using propane heaters to heat their home. This led to a high concentration of carbon monoxide inside the property. The family did have a working carbon monoxide detector in the house, but it was located in the basement. The three family members who were killed by the gas were sleeping on the third floor. They were unable to respond to the signal from the carbon monoxide detector in the basement. In addition, another carbon monoxide detector that was installed on the main floor of the home was faulty and not functioning at the time of the tragedy.

It is important to ensure that working carbon monoxide detectors are installed on every level of a home and especially outside all sleeping areas. Monitored carbon monoxide detectors are watched over by a central monitoring station at all times. In the event of an emergency situation, the central station can contact the homeowners and alert them of the situation. This provides 24-7 protection and saves lives.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odorless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans at high concentrations. Unfortunately, the properties of the gas make it difficult to detect until it is too late. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when a person inhales high amounts of carbon monoxide. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, confusion, headaches and more severe symptoms such as central nervous system problems, heart issues and even death. Hundreds of Canadians are killed or suffer serious injury each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Our monitored carbon monoxide detectors can alert you, your loved ones, neighbours and the authorities if there are high levels of carbon monoxide in your home, giving you the chance to escape and/or be rescued before serious harm is done. When you have one of our  monitored carbon monoxide detector installed, the central station continuously monitors for any trouble conditions like low battery, tamper with the CO unit and self testing for proper functionality.

Installing monitored carbon monoxide detectors is very important since many people who are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning die in their sleep without knowing that there are toxic levels of carbon monoxide present. When you have monitored carbon monoxide detectors installed, you can be sure that you will be alerted by the central monitoring station when there are potentially toxic levels of carbon monoxide in your house.

                                                                                 

             

 

 

 

 

Read 2392 times Last modified on Friday, 15 July 2016 15:54

Latest from Kenneth Grayson

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.